Wednesday 11 February 2015

REWATCH REWATCH REWATCH

Sometimes, it can be really bloody hard not to get yourself too hyped up after seeing a spine tingling trailer for an upcoming film. You only have to look as far as the measly one and half minute Star Wars teaser trailer to see how much people hype and over-estimate their favourite films. We allow our inner optimistic some much needed and long overdue exercise time, as we let our imaginations run wild with the best things we can imagine being in a modern Star Wars movie.

And that’s great, sometimes the chase is more satisfying than the capture as we enjoy the speculation and rumours more than the finished product but when we finally come to judging the film, we can leave ourselves feeling deflated and let down that The Millennium Falcon didn’t do quite as many barrel rolls as one might come to expect. Which is why, to gain an accurate perspective on a film’s quality, it is paramount that you re-watch multiple times.

You could go to the cinema on Force Awaken’s opening day, your wildest Star Wars expectations smuggled in your jacket with your illegal sweets, and leave bitterly disappointed. The film could be good, hell it could even be great, but we all have our own unqiue perspectives on what Star Wars should be and The Force Awakens couldn’t possibly fulfill EVERYONE’S expectations.

This is where the second viewing comes in. You now know what to expect when you pay your extortionate ticket prices and sit down in that soda stained cinema seat. Sure, you know the plot and there are no more surprises in terms of reveals or mysterious characters but you go into this re-watch with your expectations curbed, ready to just enjoy a (hopefully) great Star Wars movie. That character that you didn’t quite like in your first watch because he isn’t who you thought he would be; now you find him endearing and magnetic. Sometimes, enjoying a good film is about perspective.

The multiple watch system works both ways, and you can find yourself going into a movie wanting it to be great so bad that you instinctively ignore and push past the obvious shite that you are watching. For example, and I’m a little ashamed to admit this, on my first watch of Amazing Spider-Man 2, I came out of the cinema buzzing from having seen a fun Spider-Man movie – I knew there were faults but I was ready to defend the film against anyone questioning its overall quality. Then I watched it for a second time.

And I barely got through the film again. It was 60 minutes when I first started checking my watch, which I continued to do for the next hour and forty minutes until the credits finally rolled. ‘How could I have been so blind!?’ I thought to myself, ‘this film is an absolute fucking mess’. My bias for Spider-Man got in the way of me judging the quality of a film – I wanted it to be good so bad, and I felt everything was in place for Amazing Spider-Man 2 to build successful on the solid foundations lay down by its predecessor. I got caught up in my own lofty expectations, as well as the speeding hype train that subsequently derailed spectacularly in a turn of events that led to Spider-Man joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe (yay!).

It’s almost impossible not to get caught up in the marketing campaigns that blockbuster films like Star Wars and Avengers have these days, with their trailers and advertising material specifically tailored to get you pumped for their film. You can’t escape it so take the appropriate steps to make sure you judge the film in the way it deserves to be judged. Watch the film a second time with your lofty expectations left in your other coat. It might reveal something surprising…

Alex A 

No comments:

Post a Comment