Tuesday 3 February 2015

F4nt4stic Four Tr4iler Re4ctions (That's annoying, right!?)

Well, the Fantastic Four (Fant4stic!?) trailer has finally dropped and it surprised everyone that it looks set to be an actual film with a proper release date and all. Before now, we have basically heard nothing about the film or seen any sort of footage – you know, apart from the rumours of Josh Trank getting ridiculously blazed on the set which, coincidentally, is what I would do if I found myself working for Fox. We had a cast and a release date, and that’s it but now we have a trailer.

Ignoring the fact that the trailer treads the age old superhero trailer path of slow music, foreboding narration and a little tease of the heroes, I liked the trailer – it peaked my curiosity enough that I’m excited to go and watch this film in the Summer. The film has a strong cast behind it with Kate Mara, Miles Teller and Michael B Jordan all impressing with their recent work in TV and Film – you would be hard pressed to find a better trio of young actors rising through Hollywood at the moment. Plus the film looks beautifully shot, if not slightly Interstellar-y, so I am excited to watch Trank’s finished product.

That doesn’t mean I’m totally sold on this reboot. The official description of the film starts off with “a contemporary re-imagining of Marvel's original and longest-running superhero team” which fills my head with all sorts of images of ancient Fox Execs huddled in a board room writing down what they think the kids of today like, and that fills my heart with dread. Nothing says cool and hip like Hollywood trying desperately to talk street and pretending to like rap music. All this boils down to the fact that I’m worried that Fox are going to detour too far from the source material which may give us a good sci-fi film that will result in an awful Fantastic Four movie.

It’s also extremely worrying that we have had to wait so long to see any footage of the movie at all. My instinct tells me that the producers didn’t have enough confidence in the footage that they had previously to release it to the public – we are now 7 months from release and we have only just had our first trailer, the marketing guys have a real job on their hands to get people hyped up for the Fantastic Four in such a short amount of time.


To be honest, even if the trailer was bad, I was going to watch Fantastic Four but now I’m going to go in to the cinema with a little bit more hope – well, at least with more hope than I will have for the next Amazing Spider-Man. Seriously Sony, fuck you.

No comments:

Post a Comment