Thursday 11 December 2014

Dragon Age: Inquisition First Impressions

For me, nothing quite beats the feeling of getting truly immersed into a dense and beautiful fantasy RPG. A love that started with Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and continued through various incarnations, peaking with Skyrim, as I impatiently wait for the Witcher 3 to come out and since the gaming gods have chosen to delay Witcher until May, I have to get my fix another way.

Introducing Dragon Age: Inquisition, a game that had the misfortune to be released at the end of a ridiculously busy autumn schedule, falling by the way side with the likes of Assassins Creed and Far Cry eating up my November. I have always been a big fan of Dragon Age from it’s tactical combat to it’s richly detailed companions that you interact with – I was extremely excited to step back into the world of Thedas.

Once I played through the prologue and was set loose upon the world, the first thing that struck me was the astonishing freedom that had been gifted to me. Dragon Age games of the past had been closely linked linear paths so imagine my surprise when I started wandering through the Hinterlands, a huge expansive piece of land, as I collected plants, rocks and battled those pesky Templars. It is a welcome entry for the franchise but also means that any chance of getting this game finished soon went out the window, I spend WAY too much time picking flowers.

So, when I finally managed to drag myself from chasing butterflies, I had a bit of a natter with my fellow companions. And when I say natter, I mean flirt with as much as possible. The life of a prophet is a lonely one as I threw pick up lines at anyone who would listen, not really getting anything but a few slightly disapproving looks from Cassandra. My quest for love had led me to Dragon Age Inquisition’s minefield of a conversation tree.

A conversation tree that is no longer conveniently labeled, leaving me unguided and on my own as I offended Varic for the 10th time when I was desperately trying to bro out. It is a fantastic system that brings a depth to talking to your companions (subordinates?), you have to treat every chat like a battle as you strategically traverse the conversation attempting to get what you want. Just like real life! Except in real like I’m not a badass mage revered by thousands. *Sigh*

The combat doesn’t deter too far from Dragon Age 2 except from the introduction of the Tactical Camera that lets you pause combat and assess the situation, allowing you to take down your enemies with precision and teamwork. I would LOVE to tell you I was using this new feature and intelligently taking down enemy groups without much fuss. I would LOVE to tell you that. However, my tactics were much more of the ‘charge in screaming, throwing spells at everyone, runaway and chug health potions’ sort. Each to their own, I suppose.


In my first 8 hours with Dragon Age: Inquisition, my only problem is that I don’t have more time to play and get totally immersed in this phenomenally detailed world that Bioware have created. I want to flesh out Cassandra’s back-story and tell Varic that his bare chest is making the other companions uncomfortable. In short, I can’t wait to explore every nook and cranny of Inquisition.

Alex A.

No comments:

Post a Comment