Tuesday 16 December 2014

2015: Year of Games

2015 really does promise to be the biggest year of gaming that we’ve seen in recent times, but, unfortunately, it’s all for the wrong reasons, those reasons being that several games that were supposed to be 2014 releases have now been pushed to 2015.

I realise this is very distressing news, but it really has been a trend, delays that is, for some years now. If you can think back Watch Dogs was supposed to be a 2013 release but was pushed to 2014, although this is kind of a redundant example because Watch Dogs was pretty poor in the end. You made me wait, Ubisoft. You made me eagerly wait, and then I was disappointed. However, with the amount of big titles delayed this year, I’d have to say at least one of them will be worth the wait, but that doesn’t mean I’m happy about waiting.

First off we have Batman: Arkham Knight delayed until 2015. This is probably the one game that I can deal with waiting for, not because im not interested in it, but because every time I feel like I’m starting to lose interest or forget the game even exists Rocksteady will drop another trailer and i lose my shit all over again...in a good way.

Then we have The Witcher 3 delayed until 2015. The Witcher 3 is probably the biggest game to be delayed until 2015, and i mean biggest in terms of scope, and even though we’ve been aware of this delay for a while now, I still can’t help feeling more and more anxious. It feels like watch dogs all over again. Wow, this game looks super ambitious...oh, its delayed...and again...and it turns out it was shit. I hope this feeling is wrong, and i can at least be safe in the knowledge that The Witcher 3 won’t regress to the point of ‘press X to hack’.

Finally, the last of what i would consider ‘big’ delays (that I’m aware of) is Uncharted 4 delayed until 2015...could even be 2016 to be honest. Now I’ll be honest here, Uncharted 4 never really was slated for a 2014 release, not officially anyway, but the fact that Naughty Dog kept dancing around when the game was coming out suggests to me they were trying to rush it out but it didn’t happen. The game now has a vague ‘2015’ release date, which means it could come in the third or fourth quarter of the year which honestly worries me it’ll slip into 2016.

There are a bunch of other games that are delayed too: Dying Light, Tom Clancy’s The Division, The Order: 1886, Battlefield Hardline, and Evolve, and it just goes to show the amount of AAA games 2015 will be receiving. It makes me think that the people that run the show at all these games studios are one of two things. 1) sadists or 2) terrible time planners who inadvertently end up cock teasing the public. Please, sort it out, a game on time every so often would be nice.


Conor M.

No comments:

Post a Comment