Thursday 27 November 2014

A Far Cry From Far Cry 3.

I bloody well loved Far Cry 3. I couldn’t get enough of its dark character driven narrative, addictive and responsive gunplay as well as its genuinely charismatic villain in the form of Vaas Montenegro. I eagerly downloaded the beautiful soundtrack as I sat back and let Far Cry 3 influence my writing and university projects – in other words, I was completely blown away by pretty much everything Far Cry 3 had to offer. All Far Cry 4 has to do to earn my love is offer me more of the same, right?

Except, in my first 15 hours or so with Far Cry 4, I’m not really feeling the same sort of adoration that came so naturally with its predecessor. That’s not to say that I’m not enjoying Far Cry 4, it is a great game that makes me want to keep coming back for more but I can’t help feel that it is missing that certain special ingredient that made Far Cry 3 so special. And it isn’t spending the first half of the game saving useless surfer dudes who then spend the second half of the game whining at you. Fuck you Liza.

It hasn’t always been sunshine and roses between Far Cry and me though. For the life of me, I just could not get into Far Cry 2 and to this day I am still not sure why. I would always start off excited to explore the African Savannah, which would then wane a little bit as I struggled with the finicky driving controls and the annoyingly frequent checkpoints, concluding with me turning my ps3 off when I died for the 10th time because I forgot to collect my Malaria prescription from the doctors. The game felt inaccessible and awkward despite my determination to push through, probably a big reason why I wasn’t expecting much from a sequel.

But then Far Cry 3 rolled around and I was introduced to Jason Brody, Vaas Montenegro and the beautifully realised Rook Island. All my memories of Far Cry 2 vanished as I drew back my bow to clear a pirate outpost, again and again. It was an amazing experience that continued to blow me away, whether I was getting high burning marijuana plants with dub step or zip lining across a ravine to escape a series of explosions that I accidentally caused when I got a little too excited. Far Cry 4 endeavours to replicate these experiences and then some, so what the fuck is my problem!?

Context. You can intricately plan amazing set piece after amazing set piece but if I genuinely don’t care about the motivations of what I’m doing then I am just playing a glorified shooting range. Far Cry 3 set up Jason Brody as this helpless character who learns to become a warrior and saviour to his friends and the people of Rook Island, except that is just half the story. The real interest lies within Jason’s personal struggles as he descends down a dark path of murder, revenge and bloodshed and he can’t get enough of it. He laughs and cries in triumph as he slaughters his 100th pirate, showing no remorse, determined by the task Citra has set for him. By the end of the game, Jason is a completely different character unable to tell friend from foe (depending on your choice of ending). Jason’s character arc gave me the context I craved to become even more invested in this world that Ubisoft has created.

Far Cry 4 doesn’t really understand this notion as the game introduces us to Ajay Ghale, a character already handy with a wide arsenal of weapons, showing little to no character. Yes, he has a personal stake in the fight for Kyrat with his Father dying for the revolution but that is about it. Ajay has no personal motivations and just follows orders, no matter who is giving them – literally. If you wait around for 10 minutes at the start of the game in Pagan Min’s house, he will return and you just follow him on to his helicopter with the promise of fucking shit up together, no questions asked. Ajay just follows the lunatic who brings table manners to all new lows, because Mr. Ghale can’t think for himself. Want to fight with the revolution? Sure thing stranger! Want to jump off a cliff to catch up to plane? If you say so guy I just met!

That’s probably a bit harsh, and a criticism that could be thrown at pretty much every video game character but coming off the back of Far Cry 3 and the foundation that was created – I expected better. I feel like a blank slate video character instead of person with genuine personality and motivations. This problem feeds back into the whole of Far Cry 4’s gameplay, with padding feeling exactly that instead of something that I really want to do. As I said, I am really enjoying Far Cry 4. Kyrat is a beautiful country, Pagan Min is electrifying (when he is actually present) and I don’t think I will ever get tired of blowing up bears with C4 (sorry WWF) but I can’t deny that the missing ingredient is starting to gnaw away at me.


I miss you Vaas.

Alex A.

No comments:

Post a Comment